Books & Practitioner Guides
- Creating Innovative Technology – enhanced Assessments: Systematic Approaches. Outputs of the CIT-eA Project. A Toolkit to support changing assessment practice in Further and Higher Education. John Casey. (2016). Part of our work for the QAA Flexible Delivery Theme.
- Managing IPR in Digital Learning Materials: A Development Pack for Institutional Repositories – complete project resources for viewing and download. Casey, J., Proven, J. & Dripps, D. (2007), TrustDR project.
- A Practical Guide to Providing Flexible Learning in Further and Higher Education. Casey, J., Wilson, P. (2006), Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. ISBN 1 84482. Part of the
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) in networked e-learning: a beginners guide for content developers. Casey, J. (2004). JISC Legal Information.
- Writing and Using Reusable Educational Materials: A beginner’s guide. Casey, J. & McAlpine, M (2002). JISC Centre for Educational Technology Interoperability Standards.
- An Appreciation of Diverse Approaches to Learning Design in Higher Education, Casey, J. (2010). In Donnelly, R., Harvey, J., & O’Rourke, K., C. (Eds.) Critical Design and Effective Tools for E-Learning in Higher Education: Theory into Practice. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Designing for Change: visual design tools to support process change in education, Casey, J., Brosnan, K., Greller, W., MacNeil, A., & Murphy C. (2008). In Botturi, L., & Stubbs T. (Eds.), Handbook of Visual Languages for Instructional Design: Theories and Practices. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Web annotation technologies for learning, John Casey, Compass: Journal of Learning and Teaching,Vol 11. No 1 Technology Enhanced Learning. Technology Enhanced Learning and Teaching. 2008. University of Greenwich, London. ISSN: 2044-0081
- Creative Commons Licences: are they right for you? Casey, J. (2012) in Arts Libraries Journal special edition on copyright Vol. 37, Number 2, 2012, ARLIS/UK (Victoria and Albert Museum), London.
- The RDA of Standards for a Healthy e-Learning System, Greller, W., & Casey, J. (2007). In #2/2007 of the Journal of E-learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS), GIUNTI, Firenze.
- If Content is King, Context is God! Secondary Usage Metadata & Resources in Supporting Web Services for LearningCommunities Casey, J. (2004). In the IEEE Learning Technology Newsletter, January 2004.
- Some Potential Benefits of Sharing Graphical and Dynamic Representations of Pedagogic Strategy for Learning Support, Casey, J. and Brosnan, K. (2004). In the IEEE, Learning Technology newsletter, July 2004.
Specialist Web Publications
- The Clipper Project; Web Annotation for Audio and Video, In D-Lib The Magazine of Digital Library Research. PDF
- Taking Care of Business? The Political Economy of MOOCs and Open Education, Casey J. (2012). [London, UK]: Central Saint Martins School of Art, 2012 [published 2012 December: link. Featured in UK Government BIS Research paper 130
- Cloud Services for Large Scale Open Educational Resources Publishing: A Feasibility Study for the ALTO UK Project, Casey J., Waller, G. (2012). February 2012
- Technical standards in education, Casey, J., Waller, G. (2010). Advisors to IBM Developer Works series
Conference Presentations (Refereed)
- Reimagining the University: Open Art Education in the 21st century: John Casey, Shaun Hides, Wolfgang Greller, Jonathan Shaw, Nancy Turner, in: Open Education 2030 Vision Papers; JRC-IPTS, 2013, Seville, pp. 83-90
- Taking Care of Business: Redesigning Higher Education – A provocation. John Casey, Wolfgang Greller. The Porous University Symposium – A critical exploration of openness, space and place in Higher Education; Inverness, 8 to 9 May 2017. PowerPoint. Abstract
- Jane Austen and the Belly of the Beast: OERs and Neoliberalism. John Casey, Wolfgang Greller. “OER: The Politics of Open” OER17 conference; London, 5 to 6 April 2017. Abstract Slides Live Session
- The Big Red Button: A media toolkit for practice-based learning in the 21st century. Workshop’ at the Open University Widening Participation Conference: HE: Transforming lives through life-wide learning?, 27-28 April 2016, Milton Keyne. Abstract, Poster
- Clipper Web Annotation Workshop slides and Technical Architecture Poster. OER16 7th International Conference on Open Education ‘Open Culture’ 19 – 20 April 2016, University of Edinburgh.
- Clipper Workshop at DRHA 2016 Digital Research in the Humanities and Art, 4 – 7, September 2016, University of Brighton. Abstract
- Jane Austen and the Belly of the Beast: Language and Power -Commodification, Technology and the Open Agenda in Higher Education. John Casey, Wolfgang Greller. ISIS Summit 2015: The Information Society at the Crossroads; Vienna; June 3-7, 2015. Slides Abstract.
- Jane Austen and the Belly of the Beast: Commodification, Technology and the Open Agenda in Higher Education. John Casey, Wolfgang Greller. Goldsmiths Learning and Teaching Conference 2014; May 30, 2014. Abstract
- Taking Care of Business: Reimagining the Art College in the 21st century, Casey, J., Hides, S., Shaw, J. (2013), paper and presentation at the ELIA Teachers Academy 2013, Utrecht and Amsterdam. Abstract
- Open Networks for Culture and Education, Casey, J. Greller, W., Waller, G. (2012), (Long Paper) A roadmap for future development. Proceedings of the conference on Information Technologies for Performing Arts, Media Access and Entertainment (ECLAP 2012), 7-9 May 2012, Florence, Italy, Firenze University Press; 75-81.
- Open Educational Resources and Practices as a Driver for Change in Art College Education, Casey, J. Turner, N. (2012). Presentation and Workshop at the Open Education 2012 conference Vancouver, October 2012 Abstract
- Taking Care of Business: Enterprising Approaches to Openness and Sharing in Education, Casey, J. (2012), ALT – C 2012, Manchester presentationb Abstract
- Collaborative Learning Design shared approaches to designing OERs and the Open Coursebook format Casey, J. (2012) (Appears in issue 18 of Networks link). Brighton University Arts OER conference ‘Drawing on All Resources’ – Open Educational Practice Forum May 16 (OERs in the ARTS), convened as part of ALTO UK
- Leaving the Walled Garden: Disciplinary and Institutional Perspectives on Open Educational Practice in Art, Design and Media Studies – Opportunities and Challenges, Casey, J. (2012), OCWC / OER 2012 conference Cambridge, Abstract
- Collaborative Learning Design – A Solution to the Crisis in Art Education? Casey, J. (2012) DEOL 2012 Designs on E-Learning conference 2012, University of the Arts London. Abstract
- The ALTO Ecosystem Model: Open Spaces for Arts Education, Casey, J. (2011), Designs on E-Learning conference 2011: Future Learning Spaces, 2011, September, Helsinki,
- Taking Care of Business: Sustainable Engagement with OCW and OER, Casey, J. (2011) OCW 2011 conference at MIT in Boston USA together with workshop sessions on arts OERs and rich media. ALTO Ecosystem Poster
- e-Portfolios for Learning and Development: Without Constant Internet or Electric Grid Access, James Uhomoibhi, John Casey, Wolfgang Greller and Gayle Calverley; in: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on ICT for Development, Education, and Training – eLearning Africa; Lusaka, Zambia 26-28 May 2010
- Informal Design Methods and Tools to Develop Instructional Design; John Casey, Wolfgang Greller, et al.; in: Proceedings of the TenCompetence Workshop Manchester, Jan 11-12, 2007
- Geronimo’s Cadillac: Lessons for Learning Object Repositories, Casey, J., Proven, J., & Dripps, D. (2006) ECDL 2006, Embedding e-Learning workshop. University of Alicante, 22 September 2006. Slides
- The Interactive Media Industry, Intellectual Property Rights, the Internet and Copyright: Some Lessons from the TrustDR Project, Casey, J., Proven, J. & Dripps, D. (2006) World Bank AIM-WB Development Resource Centre Forum 2nd May 2006 “INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS FOR THE INTERACTIVE MEDIA INDUSTRY: TRENDS AND PRACTICES”, 2 May 2006. Manila, Philippines.
- Modelling Organisational Frameworks for Integrated E-Learning: The Experience of the TrustDR Project, Casey, J., Proven, J., Dripps, D. (2006) In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT2006) (pp.1216-1220). Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE.
- Navigating DRM in learning object repositories Casey, J. (2006), in NDLR for Digital Repositories. Liability, Licences, and the Law: The Impact of digital repositories on institutional e-strategies, Global Irish Institute, UCD Dublin, sponsored by the Irish NDLR, 19 October 2006.
- Prospects for Using Learning Objects and Learning Design as Staff Development Tools in Higher Education, Casey J., Greller W., & Brosnan K., (2005). In Kinshuk, Sampson, D., Isaías, P. (Eds.), Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age, CELDA 2005, 14-16 December 2005. Porto, Portugal: IADIS.
- Developing shareable models of flexible delivery. In Widening Participation to University Study Through Flexible Delivery, Casey, J., Brosnan, K., Wilson, P., Sponsored by Escalate, FACE, Continuum. London, 21 October 2005.
- Getting from Here to There: using learning objects and learning design to articulate pedagogic strategies in higher education, Casey, J., Brosnan, K. (2005). ALT-C 2005, Manchester, 6-9 September 2005. Article
- Learning Objects and Study Skills. Brosnan, K. and Casey, J. (2003). In D. Saunders et al (Eds.) Learning Transformations: Changing Learners, Organisations and Communities, FACE, London
Blended Learning Consortium
Glasgow Clyde College 5 November – Google G Suite Developments PDF